Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine's Day and Our Fictional Crushes


   With Valentine’s Day taking place this week, it seemed appropriate to me that we speak about romance. Since Pop Trends is run by three people of the single variety, I asked my two other collaborators who in the fandom universe is their fictional crush. Some of the answers might surprise you while others may not, but in the end you’ll notice something a relevant trend in the people chosen below.

                                                                          Random V-

Ezio Auditore in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood


In Videogames: “I choose Ezio Auditore from Assassin’s Creed. I mean, think about it. He’s a family man, highly intelligent, classy and apparently an excellent lover. That’s without counting his physical skills as an assassin and the fact that his friends are V.I.P.’s in the Renaissance. There’s also the point that at the end of his arc he marries a bookstore owner, which means that the man wanted a companion who was smart as well as pretty (which happens to be a trend in his love life). In my opinion, Ezio is the complete package and would make at the very least a very interesting date. Did I mention he’s not bad looking either?”

Otaku K-
In TV/Anime: “I don’t know about you guys but…I would try my hand with Dean Winchester from Supernatural. Yes, the man has issues, but hey who doesn’t? He’s brave, loyal and capable of loving a woman (Let’s not forget about Lisa, people). He’s also kid friendly and if I may be honest, he’s freaking awesome. Although I’d have to put up with the occasional demon, a few visits from the king of hell and a brother who keeps getting possessed by powerful beings, I’m willing to overlook these things. What makes him so fantastic in my book is that there is more to him than meets the eye. He’s a smart man and his quick as a whip attitude makes me want to get into arguments with him just to see what germs will spew out of his mouth. Though far from perfect, his devotion to those he wants to save along with his resolution to doing the right thing, makes him a possible prospect for me.”  
Jensen Ackles as Dean Winchester from Supernatural

 Of course, as a Supernatural fan myself I can see Kay’s point. Although I’d prefer his brother, Dean is indeed incredibly smart and a devoted family man. I’ll assist by pointing out that the man also has the unique ability to look straight into your soul and cries beautifully. He also comes with an on-call angel and a nerdy brother who happen to be as equally hot as Dean. His sweet ride also gets him bonus points.

Doctor Q-
In Manga/Comics- “A strong, independent woman, Nico Robin from One Piece is one of the most intelligent characters in manga and one of the even smaller number with formal education (archaeology). She loves reading and relaxing while enjoying good food, is highly determined when she sets a goal and is not afraid to go on adventures. Now if I could get my hands on that Goro Goro no Mi, we would be unstoppable. Of all female manga characters I’ve read, Nico Robin is truly the best Valentine.”

 
Nico Robin from One Piece
  Having only read One Piece casually, I can’t say much about Doctor Q’s choice of crush. I do however agree with the point that any girl who can go on adventures and enjoy food while providing intelligent conversation is definitely a plus in any book. The fact that she hangs out with what is possibly the coolest pirate crew in the history of ever (well, at least in the manga universe) also gains her bonus points.
   These were far from the only fictional characters chosen. Among others mentioned were Nightwing (Batman), Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist), Sam Winchester (Supernatural), Matt Smith’s Eleventh Doctor (Doctor Who), Ned Stark (Game of Thrones) and the always awesome River Song (Doctor Who). In fact, River Song was chosen by both Doctor Q and I, but I’ll explain our reasons in another article. I did notice that in general what we want in our fictional crushes is pretty much what we want from our real ones. Action, intelligence and love seems to be the perfect recipe for a fictional crush but let’s admit it, it’s also the way to the Pop Trends crew’s hearts.
 
 
Of course, luscious bodies, sweet rides and the ability to perfectly slay evil doers while swinging from rooftops won’t hurt your chances either.
So, who is your fictional crush? Let us know below!

No comments:

Post a Comment