Sunday, April 13, 2014

Observations in Pop Culture - Let's Be Smart, Courteous Fans, Ok?


  


Every day people talk about pop culture, whether its movies, comics or more mundane stuff, like celebrities and music. Yet something I’ve noticed is how often people in general, regardless of how we classify them, tend to say “X thing sucks!” without ever having experienced it in full. 

   Sometimes my friends stumble into material in my search histories, physical and digital libraries that makes them question my taste. They rarely believe it’s for research purposes. Then again, I don’t tend to explain my research either, so it doesn’t help. Yet as a believer in the “I’ll respect your opinion on this if you tell me exactly why you hate it” philosophy, I feel it’s my duty to find out why something is popular or hated.

   Let’s take a look at something popular. The erotic trilogy, Fifty Shades of Gray by E.L. James is a huge best seller. The film already has a release date and teaser trailer. People are divided between those who hate the book and those who worship it. Not knowing which side to take and against the advice of the more literature minded friends of mine, I read the entire trilogy and decided to formulate my own opinion about it.
Not only did I read all three, I put a picture of it here too.
   Honestly, I found it trite, badly written and hardly erotic but I can see why people liked it. It was accessible and simply written. It was pure fiction fodder, something mainstream that didn’t require a lot of brain cells to follow. It wasn’t written for a literary scholar, but for that person who just wants something simple and trashy to read. Though I stand firmly on the “I don’t like it” side, I have legitimate reasons to not like it. Given enough time, a highlighter and a perishable copy, I can probably quote exact sentences that show why I disliked the books. Among them being the inconsistent characters and the bland sex scenes. But then again, I can’t entirely hate the books. It was shooting for a specific audience, mainly the casual or reluctant readers, and hit it with the same sniper precision seen from Hawkeye in The Avengers.
   Another interesting scenario was when I started watching the Supernatural anime. Surprisingly, fans of the show and its expanded universe told me not to watch it because it sucked. While they were indeed correct (no Jensen Ackles voicing Dean except in two episodes?!), none have watched it. No one can legitimately answer what episode made them officially say “Dear [insert deity I worship], no more!” Whereas I can pinpoint the exact episode I decided that it wasn’t for me. Twilight often gets similar hate. Having only seen the first two films, I can’t bash them. Yet having read all four books, I declared it a miss the minute the main vampire compared his lady love to heroin and she became an insufferable clingy girlfriend once they got together. That’s without counting the sheer absurdity of the last book which made it humorous to me.Yet most of its strongest haters are people who can't even identify the different books. Whether you love or hate it, as with Fifty Shades of Gray, it was aiming for a specific audience and you have to admit it also hit that target audience with staggering accuracy. Hawkeye strikes again, I suppose.
Though I dislike Twilight, this shouldn't be a thing.
   Which brings the following questions to light. Is it right to hate on something without having experienced it? How much of it should you experience before you classify it as crap and unleash the hate? Personally, I do my best to not bash on something I haven’t finished but I’m just as guilty as anyone else. Truth is, at some point all geeks do it. What bothers me is the oft missing “why”. I’d rather just tell you with facts why I think something bites and advice you why it may not strike your fancy, but even then I still encourage you to see it and decide for yourself.
   While it is strictly a matter of opinion, I believe that regarding pop culture entertainment mediums they should be well informed and intelligent. Every factor should be considered, including whether or not you are the intended audience. Hating something for the sake of the haters should never be a thing, whereas recommendations and fully formed opinions with legitimate reasons should.
   Disrespect towards other fandoms should also never be a thing. Instead of saying “I think this sucks!” you should merely say. “I saw it and it didn’t appeal to me for X reason” and move on. Courtesy should always be observed. Providing a uninformed opinion to a fandom will not make you cool. Instead, you’ll end up sounding dumber than those sparkly vampires trying to be sexy without Jensen Ackles’ voice. If there is one uninformed decision that all geek culture can agree on, it’s that no one likes that one hater nerd. 

   Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll retire for the time being. I need to curl up with a nice cup of tea and see why everybody hates Sharknado. It’s Tara Reid, sharks and a tornado. What could be bad about that?


Currently Listening To: La Ley- Unplugged
Book on My Nightstand: Batman: A Death in the Family

On my TV: Equilibrium

Currently Retro gaming: Lunar: Eternal Blue
Random Pop Culture Thought of the Day: "I need to finish the SPN recap STAT. If only to let the masses know how spirits can pop out of your eyes."

No comments:

Post a Comment